The purpose of this project is to support the implementation of elementary world language programs (K-5 programs in Arabic, Chinese, Hindi, and Dual Immersion Spanish). MSDE will issue sub grants to four LEAs for the 2011-12 school year. It is a great opportunity that we would like to take advantage off for our communities.
Supplemental Funding for Participating LEAs:
- LEAs that are selected will receive a maximum sum of $10,000 for program planning and start-up costs.
- A maximum sum of $25,000 will be granted to the selected LEAs for the purchase of innovative/high level technology to support language learning.
Application Guidelines-LEA applications must provide the following information on the attached form to be considered for funding:
- Description of Program: Explanation of your school system’s plan to provide an elementary world language program aligned to Maryland’s Race to the Top World Languages Pipelines Project (attached). Include grade level(s), school(s), language(s), and program design.
- Goals and rationale for program: Statement of goals and anticipated outcomes; rationale must demonstrate your school system’s capacity to maintain and expand the program. Include community interest/support and heritage language population where appropriate.
- Description of Technology Plan: Explanation of plan to integrate innovative/high level technology.
- Program Timeline: Schedule that includes activities and milestones (progress towards goals).
- Budget Narrative: Narrative explanation of the budget that includes justification for each line item and explanation of cost estimates.
- Evaluation Plan: Description of program evaluation based on the goals, implementation plan, and anticipated outcomes.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Zahi Khamis (Arabic): email@example.com 410-767-0364
Ruby Costea (Chinese): firstname.lastname@example.org 410-767-3575
Susan Spinnato: email@example.com 410-767-0349